Recruitment and Retention

Home Forums Bridge Questions Recruitment and Retention

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by joaneb joaneb 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    joaneb
    joaneb
    Participant

Margaret
    I’m sorry I did not see your post until now.
    Follow the modules on my website to help bring the group along. I do not think you should give the new players too much bidding theory, but let them play plenty of hands.
    re your second comment, yes, it’s a pity bridge is so complex, but that’s why you shouldn’t worry about too much at the beginning. Give them a few ideas about drawn trumps and counting points, and let them play. They will learn more when they’re ready to.

MargaretN
    MargaretN
    Participant

From the community we have a small number that become interested in playing bridge. My husband and I do this on a 1:1 or 2 basis. The beginners come to our day group to practice playing, all occurs in the home environment. Then they go to the night competition.
    Using the best practice modules I some how make it a bit intense as other members and players suggest letting them play and through practice they will find their own way without the theoretical input. I start off ok giving the basic information and falter when starting to progress to further lessons/modules. I wonder if that at this stage our competition group is beginner to intermediate level and have only been playing in recent years and there is no formal structure to development to advance their play although I plan to do this next year.
    Secondly some beginners play poker and very well they find it difficult to think that they can not grasp bridge straight up, given plenty of support to keep them sticking it out they find the discomfort of being a novice difficult knocking their confidence although their card play is sound it seems the bidding is complex. Any suggestions?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.