Short club or better minor

Home Forums Bridge Questions Short club or better minor

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by will will 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    will
    will
    Participant

For beginners off the street, never played before:
    I generally teach that you can open 1C or 1D on 3+ cards.
    You open the (1) Longer, or (2) Better Quality.
    Defining a Diamond opening as 3+ or 4+ is almost irrelevant, since raising Diamonds is a low priority.

After playing for a while, I point out the 4=4=3=2 hand outside the 1NT range and ask them what they want to open.
    Then whatever they say, I say “GREAT”, and I point out that it is almost irrelevant, since this hand will investigate Hearts, Spades AND No-Trumps, and almost never play in that suit anyway.

Opening the better suit suggests a better lead, and newer players can relate to that.

joaneb
    joaneb
    Participant

I would recommend that NEIHER be taught to new players. For beginners, focus on major openings with 5+ cards, 1NT with a balanced hand, 1♦ with four+ diamonds, and when they pick up a hand that does not fit any of those requirements, then open 1♣
    New players should be encouraged to open their longest suit, and it is not important whether they open 1♣ with two cards or three. Best to open 1♦ with four diamonds. With 3-3 I say pick your best looking suit.

I would not have a hand with this problem in any beginners book. The fact is: in 5 card standard, the frequency of club length when opening is 1♣ is: four clubs most frequent, five clubs second most frequent, six clubs third most frequent, and three clubs fourth most frequent.

There are many more important issues for new players than worrying about how many clubs or diamonds partner may have.
    Later it is necessary to decide whether you are playing better minor or a short club, but not at first.

sam
    sam
    Participant

Which would you recommend be taught to new players?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.