ABF research reveals that the main reasons people enjoy bridge are:
- the mental challenge
- the social aspects of the game (including making new friends)
- the competitive nature of the game
- attending and participating in congresses; and
- the travel opportunities.
Clubs should encourage their members to attend Regional and National bridge events so that you maximise their enjoyment of their sport as these events provide opportunities to accommodate all of the above motivational factors.
Remember - happy members will on-sell the sport to their friends and family!
Over the past 12 months, the majority of participation rates at our major events are showing an increase, which is a fabulous outcome. The comparative figures are shown below for your information. (Note that the first figure shows the number of tables for 2013 and the second figure represents the number for 2014.)
- Summer Festival of Bridge : 427 - 514 (+20.37%)
- Gold Coast Congress : 1098 - 1146 (+4.37%)
- ANOT : 121 - 133 (+9.92%)
- VCC : 151 - 177 (+17.22%)
- Barrier Reef Congress : 95 - 91 (-4.21%)
- Tasmanian Festival of Bridge : 104 - 107 (+2.8%)