At this year's Summer Festival of Bridge forty-seven generous competitors completed an ABF Research Survey form to help inform the development of marketing strategies and approaches.
'Intelligence' from this process is now available on the ABF website .
Some of the key findings from this program include:
- the majority of competitors are aged between 61-75 years (consistent with previous research findings)
- the overwhelming majority of responders started playing bridge between 46-50 years of age
- family and friends continue to show up as the most common way for people to be introduced to bridge (this reinforces the imperative for clubs to create a pleasant experience for their members and to promote membership benefits); and
- the most popular communication channels are 1) the ABF Website; 2) a person's club and 3) their State website.
Some of the improvements suggested included:
- providing more opportunities and prizes for people competing in the open field
- address the need for improvement in bridge etiquette - stamp out poor behaviour, including slow play and noise levels; and
- increase the amount of professional development opportunities for Directors.
The research findings have been referred to the relevant ABF sub-committees for consideration.